Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My favourite cinematic moments

I had a great day compiling this list and getting nostalgic about all these movies and watching a ton of YouTube videos. You, however, will need to have some time on hand to enjoy this list.

In no particular order, for your viewing pleasure:

1. "Nobody puts baby in a corner" - Dirty Dancing


The first video is a very poor print but the only one with the dialogue that I could find. Patrick Swayze walks in, pulls Baby out of the corner, mouths the now very famous dialogue, and then goes on stage to make a speech about how she has made him a better man.


For the actual dance sequence, here's another video, better quality. I can't tell you how much I love watching this sequence on just random days and how happy the song makes me. Jennifer Grey (Baby) dances like a dream, and of course there's Patrick Swayze, and do note the moment in the video when he jumps off the stage and proceeds to dance like a God. Need I say more?


2. "I carry your heart" - In Her Shoes

Randomly saw this movie on TV one day, and that's the first time I heard this poem. Unforgettable moment, she does read it very well. Somehow the only good video of this on youtube cannot be embedded.

3. "And my fear is..." - Stepmom

This has to be the greatest tearjerker ever written in cinematic history. It's definitely my favorite. And yes, never fails to make me cry.  The mom who's dying, the stepmom-to-be who's scared, and how they reconcile with each other and their fates. Here they are discussing their daughter's wedding day in the future, when only one of them will be there with her.


4. "You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how" - Gone With The Wind

What a thing to say, and what better hero to say it, and what better heroine to say it to! ;)


5. Simba is born - Lion King

One of my very best childhood memories is watching this movie in the theater. Definitely a very special movie. The animation in this particular scene is very grand and awe - inspiring, in true Walt Disney tradition of old. 

6. " You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain" - The Dark Knight

The movie that garnered a massive fan base and reached legendary status, starring probably the most loved villain on celluloid in the past decade.And what a fabulous scene. The stuff great superhero movies are made of.


7. "Take off your shirt" - Crazy, Stupid Love

In an equally hilarious and endearing scene, a drunk Emma Stone is determined to sleep with Ryan Gosling after finally breaking up with her not-worthy boyfriend. Of course, any scene where Ryan Gosling is told to take his shirt off was definitely going to come on to this list. Also, if you saw both the videos at the start of this list, you will immediately understand the Dirty Dancing reference :D



8. "I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her" - Notting Hill

A scene which always gets the audience rooting for Julia Roberts. I mean, come on, doesn't it melt your heart? Don't deny it. I also quite love it when Hugh Grant says "buggered" in that perfect English accent.


9. "You see things, and you understand. You're a wallflower" - Perks Of Being A Wallflower

One of the best movies I've seen recently. You know when you watch something and immediately develop this warm feeling and a tiny smile? This was that scene!

 

10. Boombox scene - Say Anything

You wake up to your boyfriend standing outside your window trying to make up for a fight...like that. <3

 

11. "The point was I had a sister, and she was fantastic" - My Sister's Keeper

This line has always stayed with me, as has the movie. Family drama and tragedy at it's best.


12. "I don't have the strength to stay away from you anymore" - Twilight

There's no denying that some of the lines Stephenie Meyer wrote were very good, and at times those lines actually didn't get butchered by Rob and Kirsten. Anyways, poor acting doesn't stop me from liking the movie. It's irrational, but when you like something, you just do.

Hope you liked my list. And let me know about your favorite scenes in the comments.

15 comments:

  1. Oh man, Aayushi, you've definitely collected some of my favourite scenes, too :) Especially, the "No one puts Baby in a corner." scene which justifiably, takes up top position! Dirty Dancing is one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies that I first watched when I was seven years old and today, nearly two decades later, I still watch it atleast once every three months :D Another favourite scene from the movie is where Baby tells Johnny that a lot of things scare her but nothing so much as walking out of his room and never feeling the way she does when she's with him :) followed by the most beautiful and erotic slow dance sequence. Ooh check it out here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lShqpv3i24&list=PL623E66D9A7B72908&index=5

    And if you don't mind editing your post, here's a better quality video clip for that first scene :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypKSbnYOrwE&list=PL623E66D9A7B72908&index=11

    As for Crazy Stupid Love, you already know about my everlasting Ryan Gosling obsession :D I love the way when he asks Emma Stone's character to take her top off she says, "No way! Look at you! It's like you're photoshopped!" :D That always cracks me up.

    Ooh and Notting Hill! *sighs happily*

    And what does one even say about Rhett Butler without one's brain melting? :D

    The only movie in this list I haven't watched is My Sister's Keeper which I heard was supposed to be maudlin. But after watching that scene, I think I'll watch it now :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to have a nice long comment from you Karishma!
      I'll edit the video yes, thank you!

      And all the dance sequences in the movie are beautiful! The scene with them practicing in the water is lovely as well...And apart from that the story was so good! Unlike all the newer dance movies we have these days :D

      You should watch My Sister's Keeper, it's a decent movie. The book I read just last month, and it was extremely well written. So if not the movie, do read the book, if you haven't already.

      Delete
    2. I watched it today! The twist at the end was so surprising, and the two sisters' bond is amazing. I even liked Cameron Diaz in it. I'll definitely look for the book now.

      And I agree, Dirty Dancing completely beats Step Up and stuff. Have you seen Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights? It's got Diego Luna and Romola Garai and while not as romantic as the first movie, it's definitely got its moments and Diego Luna is super cute and he has this sexy Spanish accent. :D

      Also, I realized I forgot to ask you, how is your list missing Titanic? This scene is one of the loveliest in cinema history!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBseVbq-5I8

      Delete
    3. I know, I did think of the titanic scene a couple of times, but you know, I only saw that movie once and completely forgot about it, I've seen it in bits and pieces later, but its never been special for me or anything, so I didn't put it on the list. Definitely a great scene though, of course.

      Well, the book ends completely differently, so be prepared, and yes, the sisters' bond is definitely what I liked most in the movie. Also the movie does the terminal illness angle very differently, so that's great too.

      I haven't seen Dirty Dancing Havana Nights, guess I'll watch it by tomorrow :D

      Oh what joy to have so much time to waste, isn't it ;)

      Delete
    4. And watching the Titanic scene again in your video, it's definitely a gorgeous one!

      Delete
  2. Okay now I'm kinda stuck on how pretty Patrick Swayze's eyes are. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, you've made me want to watch the entire movie again, I'll have to do that soon now!

      Delete
  3. Ryan Gosling - Crazy Stupid Love! Epic Scene!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blood Diamond. An entirely new meaning to TIA.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOuBn8OeLY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tfVH25sK0KA&feature=fvwp

    Pursuit of Happyness

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bklNWWoJyzE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajjGtsjI7CM

    Andaz Apna Apna. I could never be able to pick one scene. Best bollywood comedy EVER.

    Dil Chahta Hai

    Couldn't find the video, the scene where the three of them look at each other and laugh for no reason,at Goa.

    Rang de Basanti

    The scene of their first rehearsal for her movie. "su-kar mere mann ko......" hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of adding pursuit of happiness you know! But then somehow didn't. Anyways saw the videos they were definitely good.

      I totally forgot about Hindi Movies I guess :P

      I haven't seen Blood Diamond you know, ab tak.

      Delete
  5. Your turn to listen to me and watch Blood Diamond! From one girl to another: watch it for Leonardo's Zimbabwean accent; super sexy!!!!!! (After you watch the movie,mostly for the aforementioned reason, ur gonna think I'm really insensitive:( But its an epic movie. Let's discuss its other aspects after you watch it.)
    A hindi movie I forgot to enlist, Iqbal. The scene where Iqbal gives his first autograph. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, The Prestige. !!
    Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    You are a movie buff just like me..love Dirty Dancing and Notting Hill..Hows about Pretty Woman, another amazing muv with superb dialogues:) Lovely post::)

    Vishal
    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    Have a look at my web-site ... Http://Zadavator.Spbal.Ru/User/profile.Php?id=12929

    ReplyDelete